Saturday, August 1, 2015

Hellbrute WIP

Nurgle Hellbrute 
I grabbed this push-fit Dark Vengeance Hellbrute on the cheap from ebay, just so I could mess him up. I did a foot and an arm swap but mostly I was challenging myself by trying to make the back of this model look good; but in the end, I wasn't really that inspired to do much else with him, and he sat on a shelf for a good long while. Then the Hellbrute Dataslate came out.... and work began anew.

Man, oh man!  Deep-striking Hellbrutes into the heart of the enemy? That thought just put a big ol' smile on my face. I knew I needed a Hellbrute Mayhem Pack in my army: that meant I needed to get this guy Nurgle'd up + done, and he'd also need 2 friends.

So I bought the new Hellbrute box. Not a bad kit, ('certainly it looked better from behind than the DV version) but not very inspiring. I got distracted by something else, lost interest and so Ol' Smokey here and the Mayhem Pack project were shelved.

Recently, however, I've been bitten by the hobby bug again, and I cleared my workbench of all other diversions to focus on getting the 'Pack completed. I really love daemon engines, but this kit just didn't seem Nurgley enough for me, and it really didn't scream "tortured soul trapped inside a daemon engine against their will" either: something had to be done. I tried playing with adding a plague bearer face over the horned "mouth" opening on the model, and I liked the personality it instantly gave the kit, but the scale was all wrong. Then it hit me; Plague Toads! I got out the green stuff I started globbing it on, and I have to say, for the first time in a long time, I am really, really excited about this hobby again!

I'm committing to getting at least 2 of the 3 'Brutes done by the end of August. I'll post more pictures as this progresses.


  1. About bloody time you updated here.

    Lovely gs work mate. Certainly does look toad-ish.

    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Dai!
      I'm determined to see these guys get completed!