Saturday, June 27, 2009

IX: Dipped in Nuts

My most recent experiment involved buying some new materials; Basing Grit (Fine), White Hobby Glue, and a Set of Cheap Paintbrushes. First I smeared on some white glue with a toothpick, then dipped in the grit, and allowed it to dry for a while. Later I thinned-down some glue with water (using a toothpick to mix, not my brush) and then painted a "protective coat" over the area with the cheap brush.

Seems to have worked, everything seems to be staying put so far. We'll have see how it looks with paint now. My bitz order is taking forever to come in, so I might just prime & paint this guy while I wait.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

VIII: My First Flamer

First I had to cut the arm off a Bolter; this was the part I was most nervous about, but with careful little cuts on both sides, in no time the arm came free.

Then I just had to clip the handle off the Flamer, & glue it to the arm.

Then a little more glue to attach the shoulders to the torso and it's Flame on!

Friday, June 19, 2009

VII: Begin Assembly

Well, I've cobbled together a 2000 point list (BIG thanks to Mabrothrax), so I can start assembling some squads with the right guns etc. Here are some shots of my work area & what will one day be a Plasma or Flamer Squad of Plague Marines.

Friday, June 12, 2009

VI: Colour Quest

It IS similar, but the Half & Half figure wasn't quite the colour I was after. I actually have a piece of dyed cloth fabric I was trying to match to. I couldn't sleep last night, so I went back & gave it another try.

I managed to finally "achieve" the colour I was looking for at last. I found it (as everyone suggested) after thin coats of Scorpion Green followed with washes of Thrakka, & Golden Yellow dry-brushed on after. I feel my dry-brushing has improved a little, if nothing else.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

V: Solo Paint

Well, I went & bought some paints of my very own (finally). This is the result of my first try at painting at home unsupervised.

I set 2 challenges for myself this time out: a half & half style paint job, and blending colours to get a specific green. I bit off a little more than I could chew, and I still haven't quite achieved the green I'm after, but I'm a little wiser than I was before.

I think I've also decided against going with the half & half paint job.

Monday, June 8, 2009

IV: Knife & File

Okay, here's some comparison pics of yesterday's WIP "Nurgalizing experiment". At first I was just going to see if the knife I already had would be sharp enough... then I just went at it with my knife & files. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Hopefully it doesn't just look like a dog chewed on my figure.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

III: First Lick of Paint

Went to my local gaming shop for an actual painting tutorial today. My teacher was an admitted "speed painter", which was totally fine with me; as I was just there to have a sloppy first try anyway.

My figure was already based & primed, so now it was time to be introduced to Citadel's Foundations Paints. Great product, and I got my first try at putting paint on the pallet, thinning it down & keeping it "live". Kinda tricky, and hard to explain, but fun!

Up next I got to try a wash with ink (fun to see it shrink as it dries). After that was my favorite; dry-brushing. I used to buy White Dwarf magazines as a kid, and I've always wanted to try dry-brushing Boltgun Metal onto a black gun... and it was totally as rewarding as I'd dreamed. Everything dries really quickly, and it's pretty fun.

Lastly we did the base, and he even threw a lil' glob of static grass on there. We didn't get arround to painting the eyes or anything, but I did add one teeny tiny Nurglesque detail before I left; a thinned down line of brown "rust" on the backpack.

Over-all, I'd say today was an excellent introduction to my new hobby, that left me excited & hungry for more!!